Saturday, February 6, 2010

New Album: Appleton warehouse demolition, Summer '09




I'm not entirely convinced that this is that fastest way to publish, but I am getting used to it and I do like a lot of the new features.  Spellcheck, for example, is nice.  Then again, maybe I should just get my own hosting and play around with the Google API stuff, because then I could do whatever I wanted.

But either way.  I've had these pictures up on Facebook since I took them and had resized them to 640x480 a long time ago...so they're not very large.  That's probably OK because the album I did last night, the photos were 4 times that size and took up 3% of my gigabyte of space, and took a very long time to upload.  Picasa Web pet peve #1: You can only upload five pictures at a time.  Pet Peve #2 is Picasa Web doesn't directly link back to my blog.

But, either way, I'll have the photos after the jump.

These two reinforced concrete cotton warehouses were built after 1896 and before 1924, and probably after 1912 by the Appleton Company in Lowell. Like the Curran-Morton warehouse on Bridge Street, taken down in the 80s to be replaced by Kerouac park, the low ceilings and other features of a warehouse make them poor candidates for adaptive reuse. These ones are coming down to make way for a new courthouse, starting in early July.

I'm not sure how long they've been abandoned for, but decades sounds right. The faded sign here says they were cold storage at one point, and I have heard there was a meat packing plant in here at one point as well.

Mid-July: The interiors are cleaned out.

Stuck my camera through the fence.  A train used to run right through this building...

Early August - Demo begins in earnest. The amount of equipment required to take down ten floors of reinforced concrete is impressive. Wonder why they just didn't do a controlled demolition / implosion? I'm sure they had a perfectly valid reason, but that would've been something to watch.

Some sort of giant jackhammer crane.

Excavator works the low parts.

From the Lord Overpass, the new skyline starts to appear - the New Mill will soon be visible from Dutton St.

Eliot Church is now visible from Dutton Street.


It's amazing how strong reinforced concrete is. These buildings were just little boxes of concrete and pillars, replicated height and width wise. Very little is actually needed for the thing to still stand.

Just rubble left by the end of August.

Shortly after, the area has been re-graded.

Death of a Warehouse
Rest of the photos here:

1 comment:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    Landscape Rock

    ReplyDelete