Wednesday, May 12, 2010

XKCD causes spat on Wikipedia

One of my favorite webcomics, XKCD, had a joke today about how certain words are overused on Wikipedia (for example, Portmanteau and Neologism).  I'm glad that XKCD, in its usual fashion, states the obvious for those of us who just chuckle to ourselves over some of the more ridiculous things about geekdom - in this case, some of the quirks of the overall-wonderful Wikipedia.  Normally, I just get to smile and nod and move on with my day knowing I'm not the only one out there who notices these things.  However, the Wikipedia talk page (this is a link to the revision as of right now) for the article that was invented and made fun of in the XKCD comic, is pure genius.  One editor, Lisa, chimed in that the talk page is meta.  She's 100% right - the fights on the talk page, trying to use proper Wikipedia bureaucratic processes to handle the flood of edits that completely unserious XKCD has caused, is precisely the reason why XKCD makes fun of Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. I love xkcd.

    I googled neologism and portmanteau because I'm not that smart. An entry in wikipedia was the first link for both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is just getting better by the day!

    http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/05/13/183221/Wikipedia-Is-Not-Amused-by-Entry-For-xkcd-Coined-Word

    ReplyDelete